Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, July 07, 2006

Space Shuttle Sighting

Andrew and I saw the space shuttle/ISS Thursday night.
I knew we might have a good chance of seeing it. I went out around 9 but there was a little overcast, and the moon was lighting the sky.
So we went to the prairie (the best place for seeing storms, lightning, stars, etc.). We got there at 9:20 and about two minutes later, we saw it. I think we both saw it at the same time. I looked through the binoculars but before I could focus in on it, Andrew said "That's it."
Very bright, and damn fast. Of course, traveling around the earth at almost 18,000 mph, I knew it would be fast. But we were only able to see it for about three minutes or less. Even from our perspective, it was amazingly fast.
There is a chance of seeing it tonight (Friday, July 7) around 9:45. 32 degrees WSW, king of "right of the big dipper."

Even though I've taken pictures for over 30 years, I knew damn well I couldn't get a picture of it, but I snapped it anyway. What the hell. Here's the proof--the space shuttle is a sperm!
ZIP Code Maps